The Perfect Briefing
The Perfect Briefing
A good quote needs a good briefing. Talking about the content and goals of the commission are necessities.
To express your request in the most efficient way, there are a few things to consider. This page is to help you provide the most important information right at the first call.
The basic description should summarize what the commission should show - what characters are on it and in which setting are they? If you have reference pictures, that are similar to what you envision, don’t hesitate to attach them.
- Purpose: What should the illustration accomplish? Where should it be used? Wedding, children’s book, ad banner? Is the illustration to be framed and to be put on the wall?
- Style: Rough sketch, black and white, colored, cartoon or rather realistic? Attach some reference pictures!
- Character(s): How does the character look like and what pose does he strike? If there are several, how do they interact?
- Background: Is there a background? Is it transparent, a solid color or integral part of the illustration? What is on the background?
- Composition, Perspective: Are there any specifications?
- Atmosphere: Is a certain atmosphere to be achieved? Reference pictures or moodboards can be very helpful in this matter.
- Size/Medium: In what size will the illustration be used? Will it be shown digitally or will it be printed?
In case of a design you should think about the target audience and how the product should look like. What is it? A flyer, website, icons, ad banner? Is there a given corporate design, and what size should the design be? Print or online? Are there print specifications?
You don’t need to answer every question - as you will be working with a professional after all, who can counsel you and present various solutions.
Way of Use
An utterly important matter, for a quote and the illustration or design itself: How and in what way will the commission be used? What are you trying to accomplish with it?
- Medium and purpose: How and in what way will it be used? Digital, print, magazine, in a movie, a logo mascot etc. What is the number of copies?
- Time: How long do you need to use your commission?
- Exclusive: Do you need exclusive rights? Maybe an exclusive one for a short amount of time and then a non-exclusive one?
- Region: Do you want to use the work in Europe, USA or even worldwive?
If you have specific questions regarding usage rights, please take a look at my page about usage rights.
Could this page help you out a little? If you have any questions left, don’t hesitate to contact me. If you’re ready, feel free to ask for a quote!